AND THIS SHALL BE A SIGN TO YOU - My Dream House - Part 3

20 YEARS RECOUNTED - MY DREAM HOUSE - PART 3

You may want to read parts 1 & 2 of this multi-post story before returning here.
 Part one My Dream House on Fire. and Part Two A River Runs Through It.


My wife and I seen here in 2013 sitting in our porch overlooking the wooded back yard.   

On July 3, 1993, We started to remove the waterlogged sheet rock and carpet fill a dumpster. 

As far as we know, no man had ever lived in this house! 

It was originally built in 1951, by the owner himself as a retirement home for the couple who lived next door (to the West). We think he might have died just before finishing it. There was some evidence of unfinished woodwork throughout the house. 

I verified these dates recently at the county land records office and through the city building permits office. 

1951-84 If I am correct, the widow lived here alone for 33 years. 
1983-84 It stood empty for one winter in 83-84
7/1/84 It was purchased as a rental property (by our neighbor to the east) college girls lived here for the remainder of the two years. -
6/1/86 then Bella*, the second widow bought it and lived here alone for seven years.
5/30/93 We agreed to buy Bella's house
7/7/93 the permit was purchased to begin the foundation

42 years with no man in the house, I asked a friend recently the meaning of 42 in biblical numbers ans he told me 42 = arrival. 

This house needed a lot of repairs, we ripped out, tore down, and hauled away, carpeting, dirt, debris, sheetrock, heat ducts, old wiring, plumbing... and much, much more! 

*Bella purchased it in 1986 during her divorce proceedings but her husband died before the divorce was final. So she also was a widow almost the entire time she was living in this house. 

9/1/1993 - Official Purchase Date - present 
I have remodeled the entire house from the basement floor to the crown of the roof. And in some rooms, I am on my second time through. 

9/15/1993 We moved in on the eve of Rosh Hashanah, even though at the time there were no drains, toilet, no water, no heat, no gas and electrical was only hooked up in some rooms. I took the next two days off from work to get the drains in and to get cold water hooked up.

So late one night in September I needed a break from all the heavy construction work and I walked out into the night air after my children and wife were in bed, and I aired my complaint, to God...

"God, why did you give me a house that needs so much work? 
I came here to do your kingdom work and I feel like I am spending all my resources on this house!"  

'His answer was immediate and clear; David this house will be a sign to you, it is the state of the church! Well, that word stuck through the years, and I wondered and speculated what it might mean. 

Exactly seven years later to the day, our church went through the same process in 2000 that our house went through in 1993.   

I will cover that in the next portion of this post stay tuned. 

The story continues in My dream house Part 4
 The Sign Came after Seven Years









Various writings from the past
The Road Not Taken
At Home In MN


















Comments

Most Viewed Posts

2, 22, 222, 2222 - Keys to the House of David

I WAS THERE, GOD DID THAT, AND 45 YEARS LATER I GOT THE HOODIE

A WRINKLE IN TIME... another JESUS PEOPLE movement?