JONATHON...THE BATTLE LINES ARE DRAWN

Please go to page Thursday Night Prayer,
-------

During our recent prayer campaign (fall of 2013) I was asked to put some of the spontaneous songs, that I have received during times of prayer and worship on this blog. I mean to record some of them and include audio as well , but for now I want to at least put some of them down in writing. 

THE BATTLE LINES ARE DRAWN - DAS 2000

Intro 
Bm,  G, Bm, G, Bm,  G, Bm, G

Verse 1
          Bm,           G
In the story of Jonathon.
      Bm,                             G
His soul was knit with a special friend
      Bm,                     G
Jonathon was a mighty man.
      Bm,                     G
Called to be in a Davidic band.

Chorus
              C         G             D
But ...The battle lines are drawn,  
         C       G           D
Which side are you on?
      C         G            D
The battle lines are drawn,  
           C         G         D
And Mornin’s coming on

Bm,  G, Bm, G

Verse 2
Are you in Saul’s company?
Drinkin his wine an’ eatin his meat?
Or are you with your anointed friend?
Out at the cave of A-du-llam?                            

Chorus 

Bridge
           C         G       D
When your story’s written, 
           C         G       D
When the scribes are done
           C         G       D
Will your name be in the book?
           C         G       D
Have you kissed the Son?


Verse 3
Jonathon stayed at home.  With his father and the throne.
When Saul fell and died. Jonathon lay dead, by his side.

Chorus
Cuz ...The battle lines are drawn,  
Which side are you on?
The battle lines are drawn…my friend 
and Mornin’s coming on

Verse 4
David sang a mournful song.
About his friend who now was gone
How the Mighty have fallen.
On the mountains round Jerusalem

Chorus-Bridge-Chorus
But ...The battle lines are drawn,  Which side are you on?
The battle lines are drawn,  And Mornin’s coming on

When your story’s written, When the scribes are done
Will your name be in the book? Have you kissed the Son?

But ...The battle lines are drawn,  Which side are you on?

The battle lines are drawn,  And Mornin’s coming on

(repeat and fade) 

History:

This song was written on my heart in 1997 on the eve of the sheave wave offering, of the barley first fruits(Resurrection Sunday). The Saturday evening that falls during the feast of unleavened bread celebrated in the month of Nisan. 

This particular day, I was led of the Lord to drive to Rochester, MN and attend a fellowship there that met on Saturday evenings.  I had had an encounter with the Holy Spirit on the way to Rochester. That encounter included a song, that I sung for the entire 2.0 drive and it was accompanied by a vision that remained during the entire trip. The picture was several close up views of a line of chariots being drawn up into battle formation just before dawn. Only three chariots were left to pull into the line and all three were in the process at that moment of easing forward into their places. The horses were pulling against the reigns the smell of the eminent battle filled their nostrils, they shifted their weight. 

I arrived at the fellowship in Rochester shortly before sundown and joined them in their worship service. After the service ended, I went to a friend’s house for fellowship and food. We began to pray and prophesy over people and continued to do so throughout the night. As the sun was rising,  I pulled myself away from this anointed time in order to drive back to Mankato.  

My spirit was full, from that encounter, that song and melody played in my mind and I let it out on the strings of my guitar periodically for two years or more, without finding any words that would be suitable.  

Then almost three years later in January of 2000, I had another encounter with God in Bloomington, MN. I heard a man Pastor Charles Karuku preach and the Father encountered me, that morning my young son Micah responded for prayer during the altar call. I walked up as well because the father was calling me to return, back to a place, where He had encountered me before. I began that month to give myself to 2-3 hours of prayer each morning and continued that way into August of 2000. 

One particular morning in February 2000 as I was praying, I asked the Lord what the music of this next move of God would sound like? I had heard someone say once that every new move of God has had its own sound.

In a matter of minutes I had written a complete song, Times of Refreshing, challenging us to lay down the idolatry of our hearts and the sins that so easy beset us and return to the Lord. Once I realized how that song had come so easily, I asked the Lord for help with these chords that I had been playing whenever prompted by the Spirit on numerous occasions, but I could not find the words. That would paint the picture I saw.

This chord progression had the sounds of war, underneath, without any words just the chords being played would cause me to re-envision the hoofs pawing the ground and scene of the last chariots pulling into place.  

That particular morning words began to be formed and in another fifteen minutes I had completed its verses and chorus. I have never heard anyone teach on Jonathon failing to fulfill his covenant with David.  But there was a covenant promise Jonathon made to David that was never fulfilled, 

Jonathon saw that David is anointed to be the next king and he is willing to stand at his right hand and bring all of Israel into submission to David. But life goes on and David is at Addullam and Jonathon remains in the palace enjoying the favor afforded to the son of the king. At the end of his life Jonathon does not die at David’s right hand but at the right hand of Saul a kingdom that is passing away. 

Later that year I would find that this was a prophetic song for me, about a covenant friend, a friend like Jonathon, who would betray my trust and would even come to question the anointing in my life that he saw so clearly earlier on. The anointing that had knit his heart to David in the first place. The questions posed in this song, apply to all of us, are we still one with our anointed friend, Jesus the son of David, or are we enjoying the luxury that the established but quickly passing order can afford us?

Are we in Saul’s company drinkin’ his wine and eatin’ his meat,
or are we with our anointed friend, at the cave of Adullam?


Adullam means justice of the people. 

Other blogs by Taavi...
The Road Not Traveled
At Home in MN


Comments

Most Viewed Posts

2, 22, 222, 2222 - Keys to the House of David

I WAS THERE, GOD DID THAT, AND 45 YEARS LATER I GOT THE HOODIE

A WRINKLE IN TIME... another JESUS PEOPLE movement?