COVID-19 CANDY CARE

What is COVID-19  Candy Care?

I came up with an idea, but I cannot take credit for it.
I simply merged three ideas together that came from other sources. 

The first idea was to make a difference in your immediate neighborhood.  They suggested offering to grab something at the store for your neighbors while you are already out. Limiting the need to travel, and limiting exposure for others. 

The second idea was to write a note, offering that assistance and to go door to door and greet your neighbors while maintaining a distance. Perhaps with a small gift like candy to brighten their day.setting the candy down on the porch and talking from several feet away.  

The third idea was to use my county's property tax' website to discover who the owners are for each house.  I merged this last idea with the other two. I decided to move forward with writing a letter and deliver it door-to-door in a gift bag of candy). 

By pulling up the property records first, I knew the names of all the owners so the letter could be addressed to them personally by name. My short term goal was to encourage my neighbors and assist them in this current crisis. But my longer-term reality is now as I walk my 1200 step route past these houses a couple of times a day, I am thinking of and praying for these individuals by name.

You can do this too! Reach out to your neighborhood. 

Step One 
Go to Google maps, zoom in, and click on each house, to get the house number. Or walk down your street and write the house numbers out.  I went picked four houses on each side of my house and the two houses that are across the street.
Step Two
I went to our county's property tax website to discover the names of the owners. in a few cases, they were renters and so the names were not there.  But you can get their names from other neighbors or just ask them when you go to their door.
Step Three
 I found a few bags of gourmet chocolate candy hearts wrapped in red foil and some 'spring' candy in colorful foil wrappers. I put about ten pieces of chocolate per house. The total cost was a little over $1 per house. 
Step Four
I drafted a brief note using their first names ... then I customized it a little for each neighbor using the information I knew about them, the letter read something like this...


Dear Steve, Lacie, and Fido

We hope you are weathering this pandemic and staying active and healthy. We just wanted you to know that we are here for you. 

If you need anything, a cup of flour, a cup of sugar, some cat food or dog food, a roll of toilet paper, we would love to help. 

If we can pick something up for you at the store when we are out. please let us know. You can text us or call us on our cell phones. By the way, I work out of my house these days, so I am home most of the time if you need help in some way. 

My cell phone is (5xx) 555-1212 


Your Neighbors, 

D & D Smith at 123 Main Street. Anytown, USA

Regardless if anyone calls or texts, as part of this present crisis, I feel like I have been an encouragement and I have opened the door for my neighbors to ask if they need something. 
This should help build stronger relationships of trust among my neighbors.
Who knows what crises we may be facing together in the future.who are 

Final Step
Since my long term goal is to get to know my neighbors as friends. I am building a spreadsheet to help me remember the names of their pets and any children they may have who are still living at home, or with the elderly, children who might visit from time to time. 

Leave a comment or share this article with a friend. 


If you want to see more content like this ... please bookmark this URL:  https://upsettingbroca.blogspot.com 
Blogger no longer offers a subscribe by e-mail option. 


Various writings from the past
The Road Not Taken

At Home In MN   

Comments

Most Viewed Posts

2, 22, 222, 2222 - Keys to the House of David

I WAS THERE, GOD DID THAT, AND 45 YEARS LATER I GOT THE HOODIE

A WRINKLE IN TIME... another JESUS PEOPLE movement?