CONTRACTS vs. COVENANT




CONTRACT vs. COVENANT

The Scope 

Contracts cover a transaction between 2 parties

Covenants cover the relationship between 2 parties

The Motivation

Contracts are motivated by a lack of trust, so both parties seek to limit their exposure to risk.

Covenants are motivated by love and built on trust, so both parties risk everything without setting any limits.

The Language

Contracts are written out, their language is complex, the terms are explicit. They list a comprehensive series of expectations and outline all the possible means of failure with their penalties.

Covenants are usually spoken, their language is simple because the terms are unconditional. 

The Source

Contracts are compiled from the minds of lawyers, invoking the ‘letter’ of the law.

Covenants are birthed in the hearts of lovers, invoking the ‘spirit’ of the law.

The Personality

Contracts are mechanical; they have never inspired anybody. They put most of us to sleep. Have you ever read the entire legal content before you click the ‘I agree’ button on your favorite website?

Covenants are inspirational, filled with passion and emotion, people actually write novels about them. 


The Currency

The currency of Contract is things

Exchanging money, items of value, or services. The consequences of breaking a contract are also temporal. If You break the contract you pay x number of dollars or you must return the items. 

The Currency of Covenant is your life

In a covenant, two parties promise to give to each other the entire substance of who they are; their time, their devotion, their protection, their influence, their assets, their family, their friends, all that they have is on the table, to be shared without limits. In short, they give their entire life to their covenant partner. 

Let’s put this currency the difference in perspective…

The Story of the Chicken and the Pig –

One morning the Chicken and the Pig had a conversation. The Chicken proposed a business venture to the pig.

She said we could launch a Breakfast restaurant.                         The Pig asked, Well “what would we call it?”

The Chicken answered, how about ‘Ham and Eggs.’ The Pig had a faraway look in his eyes.

Then at last he answered, I think I am going to pass.        Why? The Chicken asked.

The Pig answered, “For you, this is simply an adventure, yes you are involved, but you are not committed.

You are giving only what comes to you spontaneously day by day.

But for me this venture would require the ultimate sacrifice; this venture would cost me my life!

The Language 

Contracts say 'perform or pay.' -  Covenants say 'do or die.'

The Language of Contract - Contract says: 

I will if you will

“If you are everything you are supposed to be, then I will be everything I am supposed to be. 

“To the degree that you are who you are supposed to be, I will be who I am supposed to be.”  

But...

 “If you are not who you are supposed to be, I am out of here.” 


The bottom line of a contract is...   “my best experience at your expense.” 

The Language of Covenant - Covenant says: 

“I will be everything I am supposed to be, regardless of whether you are everything you are supposed to be.” 

“I will be who I am supposed to be… Period. 


The bottom line of a covenant is... “Your best experience at my expense.”

God is a Covenant God and He Honors covenant!

Leave a comment or share this article with a friend. 

If you want to see more content like this ... please bookmark this URL:  https://upsettingbroca.blogspot.com 
Blogger no longer offers a subscribe by e-mail option. 


Various writings from the past
The Road Not Taken

At Home In MN  

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting We appreciate your feedback.

Most Viewed Posts

2, 22, 222, 2222 - Keys to the House of David

I WAS THERE, GOD DID THAT, AND 45 YEARS LATER I GOT THE HOODIE

A WRINKLE IN TIME... another JESUS PEOPLE movement?