PHOP - THIS SHOULD REND OUR HEARTS!

This morning at PHOP we were praying for the family of Tim Anderson, a 27 year old philosophy major at MSU who committed suicide in the library at MSU yesterday afternoon. As we prayed for this family, our hearts were softened toward all who are suffering from hopelessness, rejection, loneliness, poor self love

When we hear tragic news like this, what happens in our heart? Are we too quick to just move on?  Is this just another news story of a young man making a bad decision?  Are we going to leave this family to deal with their own issues. Or does our heart break with God's heart over the one lost lamb? 
I felt God reach down and soften my calloused heart this morning as I opened up to His heart, I wept and prayed for all the poor and powerless, all the lost and lonely. All the rejected and loveless ones who drag themselves out of bed each morning to face another hopeless day without God. 

This passage puts the responsibility on the Church, the people of God. We are Zion who needs to proclaim the glad tidings of Good spoken of here. 
"Whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”How shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacherAnd how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,Who bring glad tidings of good things!
Romans 10:13-15  

We also prayed out of Isaiah 40:6-11

The voice said, “Cry out!”And he[b] said, “What shall I cry?”“All flesh is grass,And all its loveliness is like the flower of the field.The grass withers, the flower fades,Because the breath of the Lord blows upon it;Surely the people are grass.The grass withers, the flower fades,But the word of our God stands forever.”O Zion,You who bring good tidings, Get up into the high mountain; O Jerusalem,You who bring good tidings, Lift up your voice with strength, Lift it up, be not afraid; Say to the cities of Judah, “Behold your God!”10 Behold, the Lord God shall come with a strong hand,And His arm shall rule for Him;Behold, His reward is with Him, And His work before Him.11 He will feed His flock like a shepherd;He will gather the lambs with His arm, And carry them in His bosom, And gently lead those who are with young

We also prayed out of Psalm 27:10-13
When my father and my mother forsake me,Then the Lord himself will take care of me.11 Teach me Your way, O LordAnd lead me in a smooth path, because of my enemies.12 Do not deliver me to the will of my adversaries;For false witnesses have risen against me, And such as breathe out violence.13 I would have lost heart, unless I had believed That I would see the goodness of the Lord In the land of the living.

Jeremiah 29:11-12
11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.

13 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”[g14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,[h]Who bring glad tidings of good things!”

Who do you know that you could bring glad tidings of good to today? What names came to mind as you were reading this post? 
Please do not ignore the still small voice speaking to you. 
Pray for that person(s) right now, 
Pray for the hope of God's love to overshadow them, 
Pray as if their life depended on it. 
Weep with those who weep, 
mourn with those who mourn. 

Let God share the pain of His heart with you and perhaps the pain of their heart as well. Let this have some soaking time upon your heart, do not let your heart become hardened.  





Comments

Most Viewed Posts

2, 22, 222, 2222 - Keys to the House of David

I WAS THERE, GOD DID THAT, AND 45 YEARS LATER I GOT THE HOODIE

A WRINKLE IN TIME... another JESUS PEOPLE movement?